LIFE AFTER LAW is Canada’s national recruitment firm dedicated to placing lawyers in corporate counsel, quasi-legal, private practice and executive roles.
Do you know the legal information landscape and understand the Insolvency/ Restructuring legal market better than anyone you know? Are you able to translate your years of hands-on experience and know-how into practical useful tools that assist other lawyers with their practice? We want to hear from you! Our client, a prestigious international company is looking to add a Senior Insolvency/ Restructuring Lawyer( Sr. Legal Writer) to their Toronto team. This role has some flexibility allowing the right candidate to work remotely if desired.
Working as part of the transactional products team, you will be responsible for drafting valuable “savoir-faire” content for the Canadian legal market. These new products provide practical knowledge to the legal community by breaking down complex legal information into useful tools that help legal practitioners improve efficiencies.
The role will include:
· Monitoring legal, practice and/or major market developments in Insolvency/Restructuring market areas.
· Drafting, writing, editing and maintaining Insolvency/Restructuring content, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes and checklists, all in accordance with the organization’s writing standards.
· Leveraging existing databases for content and revising accordingly as needed
· Developing ideas for new Insolvency/Restructuring content to be published
· Developing and sustaining relationships with external law firm consultants
· Developing and sustaining relationships with law firms, lawyers, in-house counsel and industry groups to ensure that the Insolvency/Restructuring content is topical and meets their needs.
· Assisting the Sales team by participating in sales calls and demonstrations to potential subscribers.
· Assisting the Marketing team by participating in webinars and the creation of educational programs.
You are the ideal candidate if you have:
· An LL.B/ JD, and membership in a Canadian Bar;
· 8+ years’ experience working as an Insolvency/Restructuring lawyer in a top tier law firm
(More experience is welcomed!!)
· Comprehensive understanding of current legal and market issues.
· Ability to analyze and draft summaries of legal and market developments quickly.
· Excellent drafting and writing skills, good editing skills, and a very close attention to detail;
· The ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply, in plain English;
· Enthusiasm and ambition with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services
· A solid understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm and in-house counsel and the legal market.
· English fluency, and a passion for writing and, including an impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English;
· Expertise in all aspects of commercial Insolvency/Restructuring, optimally including:
- General bankruptcy law (not involving consumer debtors)
- Commercial proposals under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Plans of arrangement under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Arrangements of insolvent companies under the Canada Business Corporations Act and comparable provincial corporate laws
- Receiverships: Private and court appointed.
- Informal restructurings
- Cross-border restructurings and insolvencies.
- Creditor priorities
· Exceptional time management, planning and organizational skills.
· The ability to manage multiple competing deadlines
· Strong analytical, problem-solving and issue resolution skills.
· Strong verbal communication skills for presentations and webinars.
· Entrepreneurial and leadership abilities.
· The ability to react with urgency and devote high levels of time and energy where deadlines require.
· Familiarity with electronic research technique and proficiency with use of PC technology (MS Office).
If this describes you, and you are interested in joining a well-established, growing organization that provides a competitive compensation package, a stimulating work environment, flexibility and promotes great work-life balance, send us your details.
Only those with the requisite experience will be considered.
For a complete list of the current job opportunities please go to www.lifeafterlaw.com
Life After Law
1920 Yonge St. Suite 200
Toronto, ON M4S 3E2
Providing creative and innovative recruitment to your organization, Life After Law is your best source for finding exceptional talent for all your corporate counsel, quasi-legal, private practice and executive roles. With offices in Toronto, Montréal, and Vancouver, and a roster of candidates and clients across Canada and the U.S., Life After Law serves the national and international recruitment needs of a wide array of clients, from small and medium businesses to large multinational corporations, in a broad range of industries, including telecommunications, technology, insurance, finance, travel, life sciences, retail, real estate and aerospace.