The Director, Portfolio Management is an integral role within Travelers, one of which that is vital to the long-term growth and success of the business. The Director, Portfolio Management requires a high-degree of interface with our clients and on-going management of Travelers’ portfolio investments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, day-to-day management of the Travelers portfolio of investments, review and analysis of on-going portfolio company reporting, assist with execution of live transactions, initiate and control the restructuring/recovery of deployed capital, and assist with the required amendments as requested or deemed necessary within the existing portfolio.
The Director, Portfolio Management will work closely with the leadership team to assist in the effective management and operational efficiency in all aspects of the business, contributing to the profitable growth and scalability of Travelers Capital.
- Responsible for the overall post-closing monitoring and management of the Travelers’ investment portfolio, including the diligent collection and review of all reporting requirements, monitoring the good standing of each portfolio investment, and assisting with any remediation steps taken by Travelers as necessary to protect and efficiently manage the portfolio.
- Monthly, oversee portfolio performance and monitoring, including actively checking-in with portfolio companies / managed debtor entities to ensure compliance of reporting requirements, investment covenants, and ad-hoc deliverables.
- Conduct critical analysis of the information collected from debtor companies and identify improving or deteriorating debtor trends, potential breaches of covenant, trailing-12 month analysis, and observe on-going key credit metrics.
- Assist in the authoring formal credit amendment memorandums to the investment committee and/or investment partners, complete with key credit metrics, and control the documentation and implementation process of such amendments.
- Pro-actively monitor and work with clients going through periods of rigorous transition, providing strategic advice, consult, analysis, and recommendations to the VP and investment committee on future-looking amendments to maintain good standing and preservation of capital.
- Responsible for on-going documentation and working with outside firms (i.e. counsel, trustees, etc.) on processes including, but not limited to, regular course loan/lease modifications, payout requests, asset discharge requests, renewal and extension agreements, potential work-out documentation (i.e. demand notices, forbearance agreements, etc.), pending and on-going recovery, remediation and restructuring materials, and initiative and conduct formal recovery proceedings, including appointment of bailiffs and receivers. This individual will assemble and maintain certain standard documents that can be completed in-house as well.
- Assess several business concerns and work with the team to formulate recommendations to the investment committee / various stakeholders. This may include preparing written reports for Travelers counsel and/or other stakeholders in accordance with the mandate of the file and collaborating with a trustee /receiver in dealing with legal elements of the recovery process.
- Responsible for portfolio organization and maintenance by obtaining final or post-closing requirements to ensure each file is complete, monitoring timelines and milestones which enable the lender’s portfolio management rights (i.e. annual collateral valuations, etc.), and the execution and management of said lender rights.
- Works with VP and accounting department as a liaison to manage the proper accounting of each financing during the term of the investment.
- From time to time, the candidate may be required to compile reports on the overall portfolio, analyzing the portfolio for overall trends, credit risk, identify and update on assets under scrutiny/workout, and summarize key statistics.
- Responsible for reporting on and escalates any unusual occurrences or fraudulent activities in any areas of the portfolio.
- Understands and adheres to the standards and procedures of the Anti-Money Laundering program, Know Your Customer requirements, and Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- The candidate will exhibit a natural curiosity for the subject matter and apply critical thinking to the task at hand and its respective impact on the overall business and its stakeholders.
- Identifies opportunities for automation/streamlining and process improvements to improve efficiencies and to increase productivity in workflows.
- Provide excellent customer service through strengthening client relationships, answering queries in a timely manner and owning the day-to-day operations of the on-book portfolio.
- Ability to complete tasks with thoroughness and attention to detail, while also effectively meeting deadlines and managing complex and heavy workloads with minimal supervision.
- Adapts and identifies with Travelers culture, vision, purpose, mission, and EASY principles.
- 5+ years of job-related experience, preferably within a financial institution, private capital firm, accounting or consulting firm, or law firm
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or related field, or diploma of equivalent recognition with at least 3-4 years of study
- Professional designation: CPA, CFA, LIT, CIRP, deemed an asset
- Strong integrity, professionalism and work ethic without sacrificing your ability to have fun on the job
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of general business principles and practices, including, analyzing, and interpreting financial data as well as a working knowledge of secured creditor enforcement and remediation rights
- Ability to work with many internal and external stakeholders and to negotiate in the interest of the firm
- Experience within or understanding of the asset-based lending industry and/or restructuring & insolvency industry an asset.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and specifically Excel
- Ability to travel (as required)
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits
- Office is centrally located in Burnaby, BC, with the ability to work remotely from anywhere across Canada
- Leaders who support your development
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Opportunity to take on progressively greater accountabilities
Travelers Capital is an alternative capital provider to public and private mid-market enterprises seeking custom finance solutions outside of those offered by traditional lending institutions. The company is a full-scope financier providing asset-based loan and lease solutions to borrowers facing a variety of traditional funding challenges, from transitional and distressed balance sheet restructurings to rapid-growth working capital and acquisition requirements. Travelers Capital is a member of the Travelers Financial Group of Companies, who possess over 40-years of asset-based lending experience and is a leading provider of equipment finance and specialty loan and lease arrangements. With a deep understanding of asset-finance and operation management, Travelers Capital is able to evaluate a borrower’s capital needs and inherent risks from an enterprise perspective, allowing for tailored, creative, and timely credit solutions.
Travelers Capital is an equal opportunity employer and believes in providing an inclusive workplace where all individuals have an opportunity to succeed.
Applicants can submit their resume to [email protected]